Northern Lights of Scandinavia - Classic Group, Winter 2022-2023
Brochure Type: IV Europe Winter 2022-2023
See the Northern Lights from Scandinavia's breathtaking mountain tops on this 10-day tour of Helsinki, Alta and Oslo. Journey through Finnish Lapland-250km above the Arctic Circle to Ivalo, the Gateway to the North. From the comfort of your cozy cabin in Aurora Village, gaze out through the glass roof as the lights of the aurora borealis dance above. Cross the Finnish-Norwegian border to North Cape and sample caviar in Europe's northernmost point, before a once in lifetime visit to a working husky farm. Here you will meet the Arctic dog sled racing Alta huskies-a world famous champion dog sledding team, before a stop in Tromso where the indigenous Sami community invite you to help feed their reindeer herd. The vacation draws to a close on the scenic, and once Viking, shores of the Oslofjord.
- : Our Well-Being Directors take a proactive approach to your welfare ensuring all well-being regulations are met (available on tours with 21 or more guests).
- : Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxurious, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom. Our customized luxury coaches are sanitized before the start of your tour and are maintained to very high standards. Physical distancing measures have been implemented on our customized luxury coaches.
- : Experience enhanced hygiene protocols to align with the latest guidance following COVID-19.All Travel Directors, Well-Being Directors and Drivers have completed training in enhanced well-being and hygiene protocols.
- : We only work with establishments we are confident will consistently adhere to our high well-being standards, which include hotels, restaurants and sight-seeing venues.
- : Hand sanitizer is freely available on board for you to use throughout the day.
- : "One thing I really love about showing guests about Norway is how people have lived and flourished for thousands of years in harsh, unforgiving yet, stunningly beautiful landscapes."
- : "I love to see how guests respond to Norway's northern fjords. When the Lyngen Alps appear for the first time, a majestical mountain range in northeastern Troms county in Norway, every single guest goes "wow", "ooooo" and "aah". Then every single camera comes out begging for a photo stop. It certainly is a phenomenal moment of pure beauty."
- : "One thing I really love about showing guests the Arctic in winter is the otherworldly quality of light. Because of the extreme latitude and the very short daylight hours, it's always either sunrise or sunset. It makes for sensational photos."
- Ivalo: Your delicious Welcome Dinner will be served at the boutique Aurora Village hotel.
- North Cape: There is no better way to search for the Northern Lights than by toasting to your adventure with bubbles and caviar at North Cape, the most special place on earth.
- Alta: Head for drinks at a local ice bar, where you'll get the chance to catch up with your fellow travellers.
- Alta: Savour a delicious oven-baked dinner of local seasonal specialities of fresh salmon or the local's favourite, reindeer, served with fresh salads and wine.
- Tromso: Dine on traditional food, served with hot drinks with the fascinating Sami people, as you hear tales of Scandinavia from its indigenous people.
- Oslo: Scandinavian hospitality is matched with fine food and a glass of wine at your Celebration Dinner.
- Dining Summary: 9 Breakfast (B), 3 Dinner (D), and 3 Dinner with Wine (DW)
- Honningsvag: During your orientation with your Travel Director hear about the past and present of this small fishing community.
- Alta: Enjoy an orientation of Alta, where the world's first Northern Lights observatory was built at the end of the 19th century. With increasing tourism the city is going through quick development offering a wide range of activities.
- Tromso: Enjoy your orientation of Tromso, Northern Norway's largest city located on the island of Tromsoya.
- Oslo: On your orientation of Oslo city, see the Oslo Opera House and the new Deichmann Librabry in the contemporary Bjorvika district.
- Alta: Meet Trine and her huskies. Hear tales about their marathon Artic dog sled races during a hearty dinner.
- Tromso: Delve into the fascinating history of Scandinavia in Tromso. Norway has recognized its Sami population as indigenous and has special rules for the protection of Sami cultural heritage. A Sami family welcomes you into their reindeer camp to share their traditions, culture and history, and to enjoy an evening of dinner and games, and shares their traditions, culture and history. The camp safeguards traditional practices that are significant to the Sami tribe. Visitors are educated about the sustainability and resiliency of their community. The Sami Camp advances UN Sustainable Development Goal 11: Sustainable Cities & Communities.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will delight you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
Call (818) 884-4047 for more information or to book today! Mention code 16423281
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 6/30/2022
- 10 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Helsinki.||Welcome to Helsinki.: Welcome to Helsinki, with its excellent museums and pretty seaside buildings. This beautiful city is set to be your home for the night. At Helsinki airport, transfers depart at 10:00, 14:00 and 16:00 for the grand GLO Hotel Art. Meet your Travel Director at 18:00 for a drinks reception. Decorated in a distinctive Art Nouveau style, this charming four-star hotel is the ideal place to sit back and get to know your fellow travellers, before your Scandinavian adventure begins.|
GLO Hotel Art, Helsinki.
|Day 2||gateway to Lapland||The gateway to Lapland: Today you'll take a flight to Ivalo, a small yet important centre in Finnish Lapland, 250km above the Arctic Circle. The Gateway to the North, Ivalo is set on the Ivalo River, where the first Lapland Goldrush took place in the 19th century.You'll enjoy a Welcome Dinner at your boutique hotel, Aurora Village, famed for its cabins with a glass roof, offering sweeping views of the night sky. Look out for the dancing northern lights, as you gaze through the glass ceiling from the comfort of your room. Please note that the northern lights are a natural phenomenon and therefore sightings cannot be guaranteed.|
Aurora Village, Ivalo.
|Day 3||Ivalo to Honningsvag||Ivalo to Honningsvag: Today you'll be heading further North through the winter Lapland landscape. Cross the Finnish-Norwegian border as you make your way to Honningsvag, the northernmost and smallest city in Norway. Your drive will take you along the mighty Porsangerfjord, the fourth largest fjord in Norway. You will take the subsea Nordkapp Tunnel to the island of Mageroya, to reach your hotel in this small fishing community. Explore the quaint city by taking a stroll along the waterfront before retiring to your hotel and enjoying a delicious dinner.|
Scandic Bryggen, Honnninsvag.
|Day 4||Northern Lights in North Cape||Northern Lights in North Cape Relaxed Start: Enjoy a leisurely day to discover more of Honningsvag. Take a walk to the 19th century church that survived the destruction of World War 2, a true rarity in Northern Norway. Perhaps take an Optional Experience to learn about king crabs and enjoy a fresh, sea-to-table lunch of this delicacy. Take your chance to visit the northernmost point of Europe, the famous North Cape and sip on bubbles and delight in exquisite caviar with your fellow travellers (weather permitting).|
Scandic Bryggen, Honnninsvag.
|Day 5||North Cape to Alta||North Cape to Alta: Today's journey will take you along an ever changing landscape from barren lands through highlands to the shores of the Altafjord. It was in Alta where the world's first northern lights observatory was built at the end of the 19th century. With increasing tourism the city is going through quick development offering a wide range of activities. Start your adventures with a visit to one of the first ice hotels in the world and enjoy a chilled beverage with your fellow travellers. Your comfortable hotel is located next to the modern and iconic Northern Lights Cathedral in the heart of the city.|
|Day 6||Alaskan Huskies in Alta||Alaskan Huskies in Alta Relaxed Start: You'll enjoy a leisurely day in Alta to continue with your activities. Maybe you'll choose to visit the UNESCO World Heritage listed Alta Museum famous for its prehistoric rock carvings. This evening you'll visit a working husky farm and get to know Trine Lyrek, and her champion dog sledding team. Learn about the Alaskan huskies and the challenges they are facing competing in the marathon long Arctic dog sled races. Indulge in a delectable oven-baked Highlight Dinner, before meeting the dogs themselves.|
|Day 7||Norway's gateway to the Artic||Norway's gateway to the Artic: Today you'll head to Tromso, northern Norway's largest city, located on the island of Tromsoya. You'll be surrounded by snowcapped mountains and ethereal water views. Just a short walk from your hotel, you'll find a high concentration of old wooden houses and a great array of restaurants.|
Clarion Hotel The Edge, Tromso.
|Day 8||Delve into Scandinavian history||Delve into Scandinavian history: Join a MAKE TRAVEL MATTER Experience as you meet members of the indigenous Sami community of Scandinavia. Delve into the history of Arctic Norway and join a Sami guide for an immersive journey through their camp, with an invitation to help feed their reindeer herd. You are invited into a lavuu (a traditional Sami tent) to hear stories of Sami life and folk songs around the fire, after enjoying a traditional Sami meal with hot drinks.|
Clarion Hotel The Edge, Tromso.
|Day 9||A merry finale in Oslo||A merry finale in Oslo: In the morning, take a flight from Tromso to Oslo, a modern city located on the shores of the Oslofjord. Surrounded by forested mountains, city dwellers and visitors alike have easy access to nature all year round. On your orientation see the Oslo Opera House and the new Deichmann Librabry in the contemporary Bjorvika district. You might want to delve into Norway's early history at the Viking Ship Museum and take a walk through the impressive Frogner Park. Join your fellow travellers at a local restaurant to make a toast to newfound friends and a wonderful journey, over a Celebration Dinner with wine.|
Thon Hotel Opera, Oslo.
|Day 10||Oslo||Farewell Oslo: It's time to say farewell to your fellow travellers. Transfers arrive into Oslo airport at 07:15 or 10:15.|
- Twin prices are per person.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class