Brochure Type: AWS Europe and Britain 22 23
This Best of Portugal journey reveals a nation's proud history, warm-hearted locals and soul-warming cuisine. Starting in Lisbon, you'll travel north and south to explore a Templar stronghold, watch thoroughbreds perform at an Alentejo farm and visit the Algarve.
- Explore Lisbon, Evora and Porto with a Local Specialist
- Discover the Algarve, Lagos, Castelo de Vide, Viseu, Coimbra, Tomar, Nazare and Obidos
- Visit the Hieronymite Monastery in Lisbon, the cathedral in Evora, the Palace Gardens at Palacio de Mateus, the Stock Exchange Palace, Arabian Hall and a local port wine cellar in Porto, the University Library of Coimbra, the Convent of Christ in Tomar, the Shrine at Fatima and the Gothic Monastery at Batalha
- View the Castle of Guimaraes
- Connect With Locals Saddle up for a superb stud farm visit, the tragic story of unrequited love and a traditional home-cooked Be My Guest lunch with Tiago and Vera in Portugal's beautiful Alentejo.
- Dive into Culture Savour the flavours of Portugal's centuries-old Port heritage and gain insights into its local production at a tasting in a Port cellar.
- Dive into Culture Visit the Hieronymite Monastery, a former monastery of the Order of Saint Jerome and exquisite example of Manueline architecture.
- 1 Welcome Reception
- 10 Breakfasts
- 2 Dinners
- 1 Farewell Dinner
- 1 Be My Guest
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
- Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Breakfast daily and up to half of your evening meals
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- Optional Experiences and free time
Call (818) 884-4047 for more information or to book today! Mention code 16422457
- Tour Operator
- Trafalgar Tours
- Offer valid through 6/30/2022
- 11 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Lisbon||Welcome to Lisbon: A sea of pastel pinks, yellows and blues dot the seven hills of the romantic Portuguese capital, which you will have an opportunity to explore today before meeting your fellow travellers and Travel Director for a Welcome Reception and orientation drive past the city's most iconic sights.|
Olissippo Marques de Sa
|Day 2||Lisbon||Discover Colourful Lisbon: Delve into Lisbon's centuries-old seafaring heritage today, paying tribute to the brave men who set off from these shores to discover the 'New World'. With our Local Specialist, We'll see the shimmering white Monument to the Discoveries, the iconic suspension bridge spanning the Tagus, and Belem Tower, built as a fortress protecting the city of Lisbon. We'll Dive Into Culture on a sightseeing tour of the UNESCO-listed Hieronymite Monastery, an exquisite testament to 16th-century Manueline architecture and art. There's time to join an Optional Experience to the historic towns of Cascais and Sintra. In the evening, perhaps enjoy a traditional Portuguese dinner amidst the heart-wrenching, haunting sounds of the fado.|
|Day 3||Algarve Region||Journey to the Algarve Region: We journey across the Tagus this morning and drive south towards the Serra da Arrabida Mountains and to the golden pastures of the Alentejo. The hearty aroma of Portuguese chicken fills the air at our Be My Guest experience as we Connect With Locals over a traditional lunch at a stud ranch, where Lusitano horses were once reared at the pleasure of King Joao VI in the 18th century. Our journey continues further south, bound for holiday paradise that is the Algarve - our home for the next two nights.|
|Day 4||Cliffs, Beaches and More in the Algarve||Cliffs, Beaches and More in the Algarve: The dramatic landscapes of the Sagres Peninsula provide a stunning backdrop for our morning drive. Admire spectacular views across Baleeira Beach, before continuing along the coast to Cape St. Vincent, the site of many sea battles centuries ago. Enjoy your free afternoon in the resort town Lagos - once the home of Henry the Navigator.|
|Day 5||Elegant Evora||Onwards to Elegant Evora: Journeying north, we travel to the ancient Alentejo city of Evora. Join your Local Specialist for a visit to the elaborate cathedral, Roman temple and the Chapel of Bones. Then, spend the rest of your day delving into the medieval history of this enchanting city. Trace centuries of history along its city walls, kick back with a bica and bolo in Praca do Giraldo or perhaps join an Optional Experience to the medieval village of Monsaraz. This evening we dine at our hotel in Evora.|
M'ar de Ar Muralhas
|Day 6||Venture Past Mountains to Viseu||Venture Past Mountains to Viseu: Our first stop today is in the quaint hilltop town of Castelo de Vide with its charming white facades, narrow alleys and fascinating Jewish Quarter. Travel north towards the Serra de Estrela mountains and arrive later in Viseu, set high on a plateau near the famous Dao vineyards. Explore the city's rich art and architectural history, seeing the 12th-century Se, standing imposingly on a hill overlooking much of the city.|
|Day 7||Through the Douro Valley to Porto||Through the Douro Valley to Porto: Vineyard-clad hills provide an enchanting backdrop for our journey today through the Douro Valley, where Port wine is produced. We explore the magnificent gardens at the Baroque-style Palacio de Mateus, depicted on the label of the distinctive Mateus wine bottles. We continue via Guimaraes for views of its impressive 10th-century castle, before arriving in the riverside town of Porto where we will spend the next two nights.|
|Day 8||Porto||Explore Vibrant Porto: Join a Local Specialist today for a sightseeing tour in Porto, which takes you past baroque churches and along the winding cobblestone lanes that tumble down towards the Douro River. See the remarkable bridges that span the river and the Gothic Church of St. Francis. Visit the Stock Exchange Palace with its splendid Arabian Hall inspired by Granada's Alhambra, then Dive Into Culture and into the centuries-old tradition of local port production at a tasting in a port cellar. Spend the rest of the afternoon strolling through the historic centre of Porto and admiring the azulejo-clad facades, or visit Livraria Lello, the city's oldest bookstore.|
|Day 9||On to Coimbra and Pilgrimage to Fatima||On to Coimbra and Pilgrimage to Fatima: Soak up the grand atmosphere of one of Europe's greatest and oldest universities and stroll through the ancient streets and squares of Coimbra, before journeying to the Templar city of Tomar to visit the Convent of Christ, originally built as a Templar stronghold in the 12th century. We arrive in the pilgrimage centre of Fatima, where we rub shoulders with millions of Catholic pilgrims who have journeyed to this pilgrimage site, where three young shepherds famously saw apparitions of the Virgin Mary.|
|Day 10||Experience Village Life Returning to Lisbon||Experience Village Life Returning to Lisbon: En route to Lisbon, we stop at the imposing monastery of Batalha - a UNESCO World Heritage site and the best example of late Gothic architecture in Portugal. Our next stop is the fishing village of Nazare, before we visit the medieval walled city of Obidos with its whitewashed houses and cobblestone streets. Our last night in Portugal together sees us toast to an incredible journey at a Farewell Dinner.|
Olissippo Marques de Sa
|Day 11||Lisbon||Farewell Lisbon: Say a fond adeus to your fellow travellers at the end of an unforgettable Portuguese holiday. Find out more about your free airport transfer at trafalgar.com/freetransfers.|
- Special Rate Solo Rooming: Departures 22 April, 08 July, 26 August and 07 October 2022 will include 20 - 100% discount on our standard single supplement.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class