Brochure Type: 2021 Europe & Beyond Preview
Sail the Baltic Sea, crossing rolling tundra and glassy fjords in your search for the midnight sun, all the while enjoying the local culture, history and striking scenery.
- Alta: Savour a delicious oven-baked dinner of local seasonal specialities of fresh salmon or the local's favourite, reindeer, served with fresh salads and wine.
- Oslo: Scandinavian hospitality is matched with fine food and a glass of wine at your Celebration Dinner.
- Dining Summary: 19 Breakfasts (B), 7 Dinners (D) and 4 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Alta: Meet Trine Lyrek at her working husky farm. Gain an insight to the challenges Trine and her Alaskan Huskies face when competing in marathon Arctic dog sled races. There's also time to have a play with these gorgeous pups.
- Copenhagen: Explore with your Local Expert. See Hans Christian Andersen's Little Mermaid on the harbour, the Renaissance Stock Exchange, Rosenborg Castle and Amalienborg Palace.
- Copenhagen: With a Local Expert, witness the regal interior of Christiansborg Palace, with its stunning tapestries, furnishings and decor.
- Oresund Bridge: Cross this magnificent fiat of engineering. It's the longest road and rail bridge in Europe, spanning 8 kilometres.
- Stockholm: Wander through Gamla Stan, the Old Town, with your Local Expert to see the cathedral and the Royal Palace.
- Stockholm: With a Local Expert, step inside the City Hall where the fabulous Gyllene salen, the Golden Hall is covered by 18 million gilded mosaic tiles. You'll also see the Bla hallen, the Blue Hall, where the Nobel Prize banquets are held.
- Cruise: Admire the beautiful views from your high-class, sea-view cabin as your cruise through the largest archipelago in the world, from Stockholm to Helsinki.
- Helsinki: Your Local Expert will show you the sights of the harbour city. Wander through the aromatic stalls of a traditional food market and sample local produce like liquorice or smoked reindeer before enjoying free time to explore the harbour of this fascinating city of design.
- Kuopio: Admire the spectacular panoramic views from atop Puijo Tower.
- Oulu: Visit Northern Finland's oldest city. It is also one of the most important harbour cities in all of Northern Europe.
- Rovaniemi: See Alvar Aalto's Town Hall and visit the cathedral. You'll even receive an Arctic Circle Crossing certificate.
- Rovaniemi: Meet Santa Clause when you visit his village where it is Christmas all year round! From his post office, you can make sure that Santa sends Christmas letters to friends and family back home come December.
- Sodankyla: Visit one of Lapland's oldest churches.
- Ivalo: Enjoy an orientation as you arrive into the village.
- Karasjok: See the Sami Parliament and continue on to visit the museum devoted to Sami history and culture, offering a glimpse into the old Sami lifestyle.
- North Cape: Journey to mainland Europe's most northern point to see something that doesn't happen - sunset! Even at midnight, the sun clings to the horizon. This once-in-a-lifetime unique experience is accompanied by champagne and caviar to make it even more special. Stand near the fence of the towering cliffs, dramatically rising out of the sea and you will feel as if you are on the edge of the world, and you literally are.
- Narvik: Learn more about the scenic town of Narvik and its history as you gaze upon the majestic mountains that surround the town.
- Mosjoen: See the street of historic, 19th century wooden buildings and Norway's oldest octagonal church.
- Hell: Tell all your friends you travelled through!
- Trondheim: During you orientation with your Travel Director, see the Market Square and its statue of Olav Tryggvason, the Nidaros Cathedral, the Tyholt Tower and Old Town Bridge.
- Geiranger: Enjoy an orientation of Geiranger to learn more about this small village and the surrounding Fjords.
- Geiranger: Cruise along the deep, blue waters of majestic Geirangerfjord, surrounded by snow-covered mountains, gushing waterfalls and lush green vegetation.
- Lillehammer: Explore the town where the 1994 Winter Olympics were held.
- Oslo: Guided by your Local Expert, see the impressive Akershus Castle and the Royal Palace.
- Oslo: Stand beneath the scrolled prows and hand cut hulls of 9th century ships that carried Viking nobles to the afterlife and learn about their traditions and culture when you visit the Viking Ship Museum.
- Oslo: Take a moment to contemplate the interesting Vigeland sculptures when you visit Frogner Park.
- Scenic Drives: You'll be enamoured by the natural beauty of Scandinavia as you travel through the Skane Region, along Lake Vattern, through Lapland and upon the Four Winds' Road. Pass Kafjord, the Lyngen Alps, the Rago National Park, Laksfoss Falls, through Norwegian Fjordland, past Dovre Mountains, the Rondane National Park and through Pyr Gynt Country.
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included - you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available).
- From time to time, your Travel Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish, which is a local specialty representing the destination.
- Cruise in high-class cabins with sea views.
- If your arrival and/or departure flights are as per the itinerary start and end dates, then transfers are available at scheduled times. If your flights are outside these times, or you have booked additional nights accommodation with Insight Vacations, you may purchase transfers or make your own way from/to the airport.
Call (800) 747-9093 for more information or to book today! Mention code 15110249
- Tour Operator
- Insight Vacations
- Offer valid through 12/31/2020
- 20 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Copenhagen||Welcome to Copenhagen.: On arrival at Copenhagen Airport, your transfer shuttle service will leave for your hotel at 09:00, 12:00 and 15:00. Join your Travel Director at 17:30, for a warm and friendly Welcome Dinner, followed by a visit to the glittering lights and enchanting atmosphere of the world-famous Tivoli Gardens. (Dinner with Wine)|
Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel, Copenhagen.
|Day 2||Copenhagen||Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen.: Your Local Expert will reveal the charm of Denmark's capital. Meet Hans Christian Andersen's Little Mermaid gazing wistfully across the harbour and visit Christiansborg Palace, the seat of the Danish Government. Continue on to see Rosenborg Castle, Amalienborg Palace and the Renaissance Stock Exchange and visit the Christianborg Palace. With the afternoon at your leisure, why not see the unusual Round Tower, a 17th century tower and the oldest functioning observatory in Europe and Copenhagen Cathedral, where the Crown Prince of Denmark married Princess Mary. (Breakfast)|
Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel, Copenhagen.
|Day 3||Stockholm||On to Stockholm, City of Islands.: Travel from Denmark to Sweden by crossing the incredible Oresund Bridge. Spanning 16km over the Flinte channel it's the longest road and rail bridge in Europe. Pass through the artificial island of Peberholm which has become a haven for flora and fauna and continue through the Skane region, which gave its name to Scandinavia. Enjoy views of the patchwork of fertile farmlands as you journey along the shores of Lake Vattern to the Swedish capital, Stockholm, which is set on 14 beautiful islands. In the evening, perhaps try the local cuisine served in traditional surroundings? (Breakfast)|
Scandic Grand Central, Stockholm.
|Day 4||Stockholm||Stockholm and Baltic Sea Cruise.: Join a Local Expert for your visit to the City Hall's marvellous Gyllene salen, the Golden Hall, and the Bla hallen, the Blue Hall, where the Nobel Prize banquets are held. Continue to Gamla Stan, the medieval heart of the city. View the cathedral and walk through the Old Town to see the Royal Palace. With the afternoon at leisure, don't miss the opportunity to visit the Vasa Galleon, a marvellous impression of life on board a 17th century naval vessel. In the evening, board your Baltic cruise to Finland and voyage through the largest archipelago in the world. Enjoy dinner onboard and enjoy the seemingly endless sea view from the comfort of your A-class, sea-view cabin, while the northern sun hangs over the horizon, showing almost no sign of setting in mid-summer. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Serenade/Symphony, Tallink Silja Line.
|Day 5||Helsinki||Fashionable Helsinki.: Helsinki is known as a global trendsetter in design, fashion, stunning architecture and luscious parks. Disembark your Baltic cruise to meet your Local Expert. Wander through the aromatic stalls of a traditional food market and sample local produce like liquorice or smoked reindeer. Afterwards, enjoy time to explore on your own. Why not stop for lunch at the colourful market located by the harbour and spend time browsing the vast array of stalls selling local souvenirs, handicrafts as well as fruits, vegetables and world-class pancakes? (Breakfast)|
GLO Hotel Art, Helsinki.
|Day 6||Kuopio||Lakes and Forests to Kuopio.: Finland is a land of beautiful lakes and enchanting forests. Sit back and relax as you take in the spectacular scenery. On arrival in Kuopio, ascend Puijo Tower for a splendid panorama that will reveal why Finland is called the land of a thousand lakes. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
Scandic Atlas, Kuopio.
|Day 7||Rovaniemi||The Road to Rovaniemi.: As you journey towards the Arctic, travel through Lapland, native home to the nomadic Sami people. Visit Oulu, northern Finland's oldest city. It is also the largest general port in the Bothnian Bay, made up of 3 harbours. Enjoy time to explore the centre of the city that is spread across several islands, connected by pedestrian bridges and cycleways, considered one of the best in Europe. Your travels continue to Rovaniemi, the modern capital of the region. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
Santa's Hotel Santa Claus, Rovaniemi.
|Day 8||Rovaniemi||Rovaniemi and Lapland.: With your Local Expert, see the Town Hall designed by Alvar Aalto and visit Rovaniemi Church. Next, a delight for the young at heart! Visit the Santa Claus village which celebrates the Christmas spirit year-round. Meet Santa at his post office, where you can arrange to send a special letter from Santa to loved ones back home in time for the following Christmas. Don't forget to take a beautiful photo to capture the magic of Christmas. With the afternoon at leisure perhaps you may want to visit the open-air museum and Arktikum? (Breakfast)|
Santa's Hotel Santa Claus, Rovaniemi.
|Day 9||Ivalo||Across the Arctic Circle to Ivalo.: In the morning enjoy a relaxed start or perhaps join an Optional Experience to visit Ranua Wildlife Park, for the chance to see polar bears, lynxes or even a wolverine. Later, cross the Arctic Circle and receive a certificate to prove you were there! Continue your journey north along the Four Winds' Road where you may see herds of reindeer roaming freely as you head for one of the oldest churches in Lapland. Travel through Europe's last great wilderness to see the Urho Kekkonen National Park near the gold centre of Tankavaara. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
|Day 10||Honningsvag||The North Cape.: Cross nature reserves into Norway and stop at Karasjok, the seat of the Sami Parliament and a centre of Sami culture. Visit a Sami National Museum before continuing along the beautiful Porsanger Fjord to reach the quaint settlement of Honningsvag. Enjoy the picturesque harbour at your leisure or perhaps set out on a sea bird and arctic cruise adventure? This Optional Experience includes a cruise around the Gjesvaerstappen, a necklace of islands that's a protected nesting area for millions of Puffins, Kittiwakes, Gannets, Guillemots, White Tailed Eagles and even a chance of a Grey Seal or Porpoise. Tonight we journey in search of the midnight sun on your included experience of Nordkapp, the northernmost point of mainland Europe, where you will enjoy a glass of bubbles and caviar in one of the most special places on Earth. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
|Day 11||Alta||Through Finnmark to Alta.: Enjoy a relaxed start before continuing your escorted journey through Norway's most Northern County of 'Finnmark', covered in unique topography of rolling tundra and isolated dwellings. This afternoon experience the town of Alta at your leisure, made famous for its fishing and mining history. Why not visit the Northern Lights Cathedral or consider taking a wilderness trip on the Alta River itself? (Breakfast)|
|Day 12||Alta||A World of Adventure in Alta.: With a leisurely morning start, why not explore the town centre or check out the Rock Art of Alta, a UNESCO World Heritage Site of prehistoric rock carvings. Later, visit a working husky farm to meet Trine Lyrek, a champion dog sledder. Learn about her Alaskan huskies and the challenges she faces competing in marathon Arctic dog sled races. Meet some of Trine's Husky puppies, that may grow to be the best racing dogs in the country. If you wish, spend time playing with these adorable pups. Afterwards,delight in a wonderful oven-baked Highlight Dinner of local seasonal specialities,such as salmon or the nutritious local game, reindeer, served with fresh salads and wine. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 13||Narvik||Narvik.: Pass Kafjord where the German battleship Tirpitz was once stationed and hear tales of one of the first large-scale battles of World War II. As you travel south, see the marvellous Lyngen Alps in the distance. They're 90 kilometers of mountains and glaciers that really are stunning all year round. Continue to Narvik, surrounded by majestic mountains. With the evening free for you to explore on your own, perhaps join an Optional Experience and take in stunning views aboard neighbouring Sweden's iron-ore railway. Pass surrounding fjords as the Ofot Railway clings to the mountainside - constructed over 100 years ago, it's an incredible feat of engineering. (Breakfast)|
|Day 14||Mosjoen||Across Tysfjord to Mosjoen.: Board a ferry to cross Tysfjord, then continue past Rago National Park, its fjords cut deep into the landscape. Bid farewell to the Arctic before reaching Mosjoen, a pleasant town on the Vefsnfjord that has a large concentration of historic, 19th century wooden buildings and Norway's oldest octagonal church. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
Fru Haugans Hotel, Mosjoen.
|Day 15||Trondheim||Laksfoss Falls to Trondheim.: Drive through Namdalen then watch for salmon leaping upstream as they travel to their spawning-grounds at the mighty Laksfoss Falls. Continue past the village of Hell to Trondheim, once the seat of the ancient Viking kings and Norway's third largest city. Trondheim has always reflected the changing fortunes of Norway and is full of interest. See the Market Square dominated by its statue of Olav Tryggvason and the Nidaros Cathedral, Norway's national shrine. Tyholttarnet, or Tyholt Tower rises high above the city and the Old Town Bridge is locally known as Lykkens Portal, which means Portal of Happiness. (Breakfast)|
Clarion Hotel, Trondheim.
|Day 16||Geiranger||Geiranger, Jewel of the Fjords.: Begin one of the most scenic days you will ever experience. Norwegian Fjordland is a dream world of soaring mountains, icy glaciers and rivers which cascade hundreds of metres into the green valleys below. Cross the Dovre Mountains, as you journey through Dovrefjell National Park. Travel via lakes and snow-capped peaks to Lom, home to one of Norway's most beautiful stave churches. Arrive at the mirror-smooth waters of Geirangerfjord to embark on a spectacular cruise beneath towering cliffs and cascading waterfalls. Your hotel is in a superb setting overlooking the beautiful Norwegian Fjord landscape. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
Hotel Union, Geiranger.
|Day 17||Geiranger||Geiranger at Leisure.: Enjoy a relaxed start and a whole day free for you to explore the fjords and mountains of this UNESCO World Heritage Site. Perhaps join an Optional Experience and take an incredible scenic drive along the amazing Trollstigen, or Troll's Road. The road itself was a masterpiece of engineering when it was built over 70 years ago and the spectacular views will leave you speechless. (Breakfast / Dinner)|
Hotel Union, Geiranger.
|Day 18||Oslo||Oslo, the Capital.: Journey through the countryside immortalised by Ibsen in 'Peer Gynt' and inspiration for Edvard Grieg. Continue to Lillehammer, host of the 1994 Winter Olympics, for an orientation with your Travel Director. Then it's on to the modern Norwegian capital of Oslo. Round off your travels with a Celebration Dinner. During a delicious meal with wine, raise your glass to toast your adventures with your newfound friends. (Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
Thon Hotel Opera, Oslo.
|Day 19||Oslo||Cosmopolitan Oslo.: Your Local Expert will show you the spires and ramparts of the medieval Akershus Castle guarding the harbour. See the Royal Palace and visit the Viking Ship Museum. Stand beneath the scrolled prows and handcut hulls of 9th century ships that carried Viking nobles to the afterlife and learn about their traditions and culture. Explore Frogner Park, housing the intriguing sculptures by Gustav Vigeland. The afternoon is at your leisure to relax by the harbour or continue exploring as you wish. (Breakfast)|
Thon Hotel Opera, Oslo.
|Day 20||Oslo||Out of Oslo.: Your departure transfer arrives at Oslo Airport at 07:15 or 10:15. (Breakfast)|
- Notes: This is a 2021 Preview itinerary. Please refer to the Preview booking conditions page for full terms and conditions.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class